Saturday, June 18, 2011

“FATHER”

Let’s see, how do I describe a “FATHER”?  Well, I do not have a whole lot of experiences with other fathers, so the only one I really have to go on is my Father and boy is he a handful!

When I was a young sucker, my Dad was my hero.  He could whip any body else’s Dad.  He provided us some dang good chow.  He could throw a baseball harder than Sandy Koufax or throw a football further than Johnny Unitas.  He could shoot basketball hoops better than Larry Byrd and if he got upset with someone, he was meaner than Rocky Marciano.  He was a knight, a protector, a man's man, a statesman, a worker, a sidekick, a fisherman, a hunter, an adventurer, a car driver, (gulp) a disciplinarian, a story teller, an advisor and a best friend.  Yep, that’s what my Dad was when I was just a squirt. 

As I grew older, my Dad became a confidant and a life and financial planner.  I used to kid my buddies about my Dad and how tight he was.  I used to say, “Yeah, my old man gave me a dollar for a date last night and told me to bring back the change.”  Oh, and back then, it was “cool” to call your Dad, “my old man”, even though I never thought of him that way.  Hey, but thank God my Dad taught me the value of a buck.  He always pushed us to find jobs and earn our own money.  At the time, I hated him for that, but now I love him for it. 

Now, that I am grown, my Dad has become my mentor and my very good friend.  The advice has pretty much stopped, unless I ask for it.  Mostly my Dad just encourages me in the decisions I have to make on my own.  We talk about sports, life’s problems, it’s joys and we enjoy each other’s company.  My Dad is eighty-five now and I still do not consider him old.  Of course, we do not play catch, shoot hoops, fish or hunt, but the memories of that are solid.  We have moved on with life’s never ending changes and I like to believe that we are both better for it.  

Okay guys, you are gonna think I'm nuts, but I honor my father every single day. The so-called, "FATHER'S DAY", is a commercial venture. There are some games that I just do not play, and society’s made-up holidays, are some of them.  My Dad understands this.  Oh sure, I’ll send him a hand written note, so he can have something solid in his hands to read about how I feel, but we do not need gifts between us.  Nothing would compare to the gift God has already given us…each other.

Well guys, this is what a FATHER means to me.  He will always be the one I think of as the person, who still makes me feel more secure.  I guess you could say that he truly is and always has been my guardian angel.  Boy, if he reads this, he sure won’t like to be thought of as an angel!  Jokes on you Dad.  You are.

Hey, if your Father is anywhere close to mine, well congratulations, you have been blessed.  Oh, and you better let him know it too!  Not just on this “holiday”, but every dang day.  He deserves it and you need it.  Trust me. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 
"I am very proud, that I pray to and worship our Judea/Christian, God Almighty. I am very proud to be an American, who loves all his family and all his fellow patriots. I will defend the original Constitutional. I will defend the rights and lives of patriots to the best of my ability and, if time and resources permit will even defend other Americans, who may fail to believe as I do, but I will never defend a quran practicing muslim. They are my ENEMY! 
Remember, be proud of, and promote, your beliefs! Be proud you're an American and promote that with pride! Be proud of your families and your fellow patriots and promote that with pride! And last, take some kind of real action and pray “everyday” for God to lead you correctly! Believe me.....this will lead to success.”” -- JOHN L SULAK 
...and there you have some more opinions from me, Th' Dumb Ol' East Texas Boy. Take care out there, okay. IN GOD WE DO TRUST!

4 comments:

  1. SUE,I THINK THIS IS VERY NICE,IOVE YOU MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Darlene, I do not know who Sue is, but I hope my article was of some use to you. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://Arianne377@wordpress.com6/19/2011 10:36 AM

    What a tribute to a Dad, John. May I add that your father is blessed to have a son like you.

    ReplyDelete

DON'T BE TIMID! Tell me what ya think.